Antworten
inteGReddy
Eroberer
Eroberer
Reinstalling FH2 for the 15th time.

Beitrag von inteGReddy »

soo.... anyone else get these errors when they go to load fh2?:
Bild

i was playing yesterday and the power went out, naturally i dont have a battery backup or nething. when the power came back on, i booted windows and tried to load fh2 and got the errors i just showed you in the above pic... nothing new, fh2 does this to me 50% of the time i try to load it. so, i reinstalled it, and played for a few hours lastnight before going to bed. i havent even shut my pc down since lastnight, and i go to load fh2 this morning, guess what?:
Bild

does anyone else have this problem? is there an easier solution than reinstalling? do the fh2 coders know how often their game crashes? in the 2.2 release notes i didn't see any mention of them fixing the crashing problem... or the problem where you have to reinstall.

anyway... just thought i'd share this with others. it aggravates me.  :0a:
Bild
N24Reporter
Doppel-As
Doppel-As

Re: Reinstalling FH2 for the 15th time.

Beitrag von N24Reporter »

I am afraid, it's a random bug that hit you there.
You need to get the shaders_client.zip files from a friend in order to repair it, or intall FH2 again.
Or I will try to host them somewhere just now.
Bild
inteGReddy
Eroberer
Eroberer

Beitrag von inteGReddy »

[quote="N24Reporter"]
I am afraid, it's a random bug that hit you there.
You need to get the shaders_client.zip files from a friend in order to repair it, or intall FH2 again.
Or I will try to host them somewhere just now.
[/quote]

dont bother lol. i've had this happen to me so many times that i have the fh2 install in my bf2 folder. im just wondering if fh2 developers are working to fix this. id personally rather have this bug and the crash issue fixed before seeing any new content. imo, it has to do with fh2 having its own .exe. for instance, project reality has a custom menu and intro and everything without the need for its own exe and it never crashes out or needs a reinstall like fh2.
Bild
N24Reporter
Doppel-As
Doppel-As

Ok here are the two files. You just have to unzip the rar and copy the files into your Battlefield2/mods/bf2 and mods/fh2 folders. Just rename them to shaders_client.zip after they are in the right folder.
It's faster than reinstalling FH2 again.

On the note of fixing the random bug (it only happens for few people) I don't believe that you will see a fix for it. The shaders FH2 uses are too special as to work with BF2s 1.41 patch to quote the wiki:
Parallax shader bug
This bug results in objects using the parallax shader technique (typically sandbags) becoming seriously corrupted-looking after a mixed-settings shader permutation. This error is fixed in the FH2 shaders.

Shader permutation
Regression in BF2 1.21.
In BF2 v1.00, a mod could define their own shaders and everything worked. As part of the support for the Special Forces expansion (v1.21), this mechanism was broken such that the vanilla shaders were the only ones used (except if you set a flag isNightMap to use the special forces shaders instead).
The workaround for this bug was to write a shim which shuffles files around and calls BF2 as normal. This is fh2.exe and the source is provided.

Staticmesh texture filtering

Staticmeshes used linear filtering for miniaturisation. Now uses anisotropic filtering (looks better at acute view angles without any measurable fillrate loss).
All these things mentioned above are dependent on FH2 having its own shaders. PR and other mods have problems with their statics like sandbags on certain Nvidia Drivers, plus the depth of view shader wouldn't work anymore.

And since this only happens to a few people and then most of the time only after a crashed game, I really doubt that there is anything ctz can come up with. Sorry. Its a Vista thing as well...
Zuletzt geändert von N24Reporter am 08 Apr 2009, 18:08, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Bild
Harpyie
Foren As
Foren As

Beitrag von Harpyie »

If in need of original file you can use the tool "icomp6" to extract it from cab-file on bf2-dvd.

I had an similar prob.
sheikyerbouti
Grünschnabel
Grünschnabel

Beitrag von sheikyerbouti »

[quote="N24Reporter"]

On the note of fixing the random bug (it only happens for few people) I don't believe that you will see a fix for it. The shaders FH2 uses are too special as to work with BF2s 1.41 patch to quote the wiki:
All these things mentioned above are dependent on FH2 having its own shaders. PR and other mods have problems with their statics like sandbags on certain Nvidia Drivers, plus the depth of view shader wouldn't work anymore.

And since this only happens to a few people and then most of the time only after a crashed game, I really doubt that there is anything ctz can come up with. Sorry. Its a Vista thing as well...

[/quote]

I totally disagree that this is a rare problem, I personally get a minimum of 2 disconnections from FH2 every time that I play. The toolbox is part of the problem for sure and it seems to have become more problematic since 2.15 was released.

I do not use Vista, and I am capable of playing all the other mods available for BF2 (with no problems) so I am lead to assume that the problem lies within the code for FH2 itself. If it is a shader issue, then the custom shaders should be removed in favour of game stability.

I would rather look at some funny looking sandbags than have to constantly resolve a serious and ongoing issue of disconnections and CTD's.
N24Reporter
Doppel-As
Doppel-As

Do you get disconnects or crashes sheik?
And does this result in you loosing your shader_clients.zip?
It is true that the toolbox has become a bit unstable but Puri had quite a lot of RL things to do iirc and thus the support has been lacking. Have you tested if it gets better when you stop using the toolbox? Since none of our testers has reported any disconnects.

As for the shaders, these are an integral part of FH2, especially with the vegetation in 2.2 and have undergone some changes since 2.15, so perhaps you poor guys will see an improvement once 2.2 is out.
Bild
inteGReddy
Eroberer
Eroberer

Beitrag von inteGReddy »

[quote="sheikyerbouti"]

I totally disagree that this is a rare problem, I personally get a minimum of 2 disconnections from FH2 every time that I play. The toolbox is part of the problem for sure and it seems to have become more problematic since 2.15 was released.[/quote]

yeah.. my game is more likely to crash when im flying than when im fighting on the ground. for instance, i'll be flying on el alamein and my game will sometimes crash 4 times. neway, i already reinstalled fh2 3 more times since this post =(.
Bild
N24Reporter
Doppel-As
Doppel-As

Integ could you please post your exact system specs for us?
I have started a thread in the testforums, but as I mentioned before, out of our 50+ testers noone has had similar problems.
How does the game run for you when playing without the toolbox?

Plus I really advise you to just back up the shader_client.zip files from both folder as I mentioned before, it saves you the hassle of reinstalling.
Plus try to defrag your HD as often as possible.
Bild
inteGReddy
Eroberer
Eroberer

Beitrag von inteGReddy »

[quote="N24Reporter"]
Integ could you please post your exact system specs for us?
I have started a thread in the testforums, but as I mentioned before, out of our 50+ testers noone has had similar problems.
How does the game run for you when playing without the toolbox?

Plus I really advise you to just back up the shader_client.zip files from both folder as I mentioned before, it saves you the hassle of reinstalling.
Plus try to defrag your HD as often as possible.
[/quote]

i guess i should backup the staticmesh.fx file as well... ill just make them a zip and create a .bat file to run and automatically extract them to where they need to go... still, i think i tried just replacing the files b4 and it still didnt work.... btw, i've had fh2 kill my bf2 install b4 too where i had to reinstall it as well..

as for system specs, i have an old machine:

2.2ghz (single core) athlon64 cpu
2 gB ram running at 433mhz
nvidia 6600gt card (only 128mB of video ram)
windows xp sp3

btw im running settings at low, however it doesnt seem to make a difference. also, i always have debug files in my my documents/bf2/dmp folder regardless of whether im playing fh2 or bf2. i think this may be common im not sure. also, whenever i exit fh2 i get an "fh2.exe encountered an error, do you want to send an error report" message. also, whenever i exit bf2 or fh2 i always also get 2 windows error sound effects.
Bild
N24Reporter
Doppel-As
Doppel-As

Hmmm that all sounds quite serious.

Your system is on the low side of the scala, but it should run FH2 at least on low settings.
I'm sorry to say, that I have no reference on how the 6600gt behaves with FH2, but I will try to get some feedback there.

How's the fragmentation of your HD at the moment? BF2 needs besides a hell of RAM a clean HD as well. How much space is left on the HD that runs BF2?
Bild
Faust
Foren Gott
Foren Gott

Beitrag von Faust »

*moved*
Was kümmern den Wolf die Flöhe!
Antworten